Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Finally! Cinnamon Rolls!!!

I've only been craving a nice, warm, gooey cinnamon roll for oh about a year now. Or actually about 3 years. Lol. So, this morning for breakfast, I decided it was time to break out and break the rules. I was going to eat a HUGE cinnamon roll with cream cheese frosting and gooey cinnamon-y filling.

And that's exactly what I did.

Except the cinnamon roll I ate had no sugar & no grains, and had lots of protein and TONS of flavor!!

So how did I do it, you may be wondering??!

I started with a bowl.

Then I grabbed a fork.

Then somewhere in the kitchen I managed to find my measuring cups.


Hahaha okay seriously though - here's the recipe.

1/2 cup almond flour/almond meal
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
1 egg
1 dropper of vanilla stevia
few drops either almond, maple, or vanilla extract
3 dates (not dried - if you use dried soak them in warm water overnight first)
cinnamon for filling

frosting:
1 tbsp cream cheese
1 tbsp nonfat greek yogurt
cheesecake capella drops
few drops vanilla stevia


In a small/medium mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients.

In a separate bowl, beat egg, then add in stevia and extract (optional).

Mix wet into dry ingredients - dough will form a loose coagulated kindof mess. You should be able to shape it but it has no gluten or fillers so it won't stretch without breaking.

Shape into a long rectangle and spread with either mashed or chopped dates. Sprinkle cinnamon over the dates if you like, and I even added some chopped walnuts.

Carefully roll up into a bun/roll/wad type of thing, then bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, until nicely browned and dry on top.

Spread room temperature frosting on top, slice in half and eat! Makes enough for 1 big cinnamon roll or 2 smaller ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment